As it does, time has gotten away from me and it is now less than a fortnight before semester 1, 2016 (the Autumn session) gets underway at UOW. Here I am, tying up some loose ends from last session’s subjects.
I’m always quietly amazed by the creativity and tenacity of our students. We give them loose guidelines and ask them to pursue projects that take their interest within the briefs. Those that grab the chance tend to produce wonderful and interesting work. Here is a selection of projects my students produced for ‘BCM240: Media, Audience, Place’ in 2015.
(The usual disclaimer: these are not necessarily the highest marked projects, I have just selected them for their novelty, their skill, or some other ungraspable quality.)
- Thomas Carroll: a girl and her smartphone https://vimeo.com/144316005
- Technology in the social space – a rhyming approach by Hayden Dore https://soundcloud.com/doreyy/technology-altering-the-social-realm
- Daniel Eves shows how to integrate research into the project: https://danieleves9.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/how-technology-impacts-actual-communication/
- Lauren Ferri’s authoethnographic project ‘Binge Watching Friends’ https://laurenferri.wordpress.com/category/binge-watching-friends/ (especially great infographic https://laurenferri.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/the-one-with-the-infographic-2.png)
- The Networked Family by Talia Johnston https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajIlaQ9Jxw
- Why do you Binge-Watch? by Tood Leussink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wq0YPsPzo8
- Tim Williams’ creepy video about the Helensburgh Railway Tunnels http://bit.ly/1N7KN5t
- Lisa Phanthavady’s the mobile bus introduces us to four great characters and how they use their mobile phones on the bus http://mizzcommunication.wix.com/
- Checking in video by Caitlyn Ellender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4jHdv9qCoc
- Meg Grayson’s investigation of the ‘reverberations’ of journalism in a country town https://soundcloud.com/meg8-1/sets/reverberate
- Gymscreens, by Katarina Stefanovic http://ks49163.wix.com/gymscreens